784 Posts
602 Posts
413 Posts

Complete NOOB!

8 replies
73 posts
+32 Points
Admins
Typically you'll find me playing STO but I decided that since I enjoyed the original Diablo so much all those years ago that I'd give Diablo III a shot. I'm enjoying myself so far and for me it's basically a single player game until I get my characters to a point where they'll actually be helpful on a team.

Since that's the issue, I wondered if anyone could point me in a direction on how I should be using/skilling them. I have a wizard and a barbarian so far though others may follow. Other than playing through the game on normal then moving to the next difficulty, is there something specific I should be doing to get my characters prepared for team play?

Thanks for any help!!!
MolsonFL.jpg
Posted Jun 19, 12 · OP
0  Points
81 posts
+19 Points
Sith Element
There are a ton of different ways to play each class, and with each difficulty it changes a bit. If you can survive an Act solo, you can group in my opinion! And grouping is half the fun! I have toons ranging in lvl from 10 to 54, let me know what lvl you are and I'll happily come and group! It's more fun with other people in my opinion. Add me to your friends list, I'm LealooDallas#1324
V08E7.jpg
Posted Jun 19, 12
+1  Points
1300 posts
+135 Points
Admins
I would start by stacking your stats. Priority for wiz is int>vit and barb is str>vit until you get to higher difficulties. As far as class builds I have been meaning to throw up a thread dedicated to class builds so I will get on that soon. I would highly suggest trying out a public game or three to get an idea of how to be productive in a group (unless a guildy is leveling a toon around your same level). What act are you on?
NewTBWLogoV3c-trans500.png
Posted Jun 19, 12
0  Points
106 posts
+31 Points
Diablo 3 Officer
you're not a complete noob.......as a super noob wouldn't know what a noob is to begin with.

you can find me in game anytime just send a tell and we can discuss builds, gear, play styles, solo vs. group skills, single target vs. aoe, etc... game has many options it's adapting to situations that's key.
d3tbwsig.jpg

Posted Jun 19, 12
+1  Points
+32 Points
Admins
So right now I have a level 15 wizard and a level 26 barbarian. Planning on starting more though. My wizard is still on the first act and the barbarian is on act 3 at this point. I've been dividing my time between them trying to build them both up but figure on starting a third tomorrow.

My first question is on my wizard. I know that the class is obviously supposed to hold back and whip spells at the enemy, but they tend to close in. Does my character actually use a hand weapon when they're closer in or should I be worrying more about what stats a hand weapon gives me even if the DPS is lower?
MolsonFL.jpg
Posted Jun 19, 12 · OP
0  Points
73 posts
+32 Points
Admins
Another question...

Should I be only using gear that betters my stats and then recycling other stuff for crafting or do I need to hold on to lower level gear for some reason?
MolsonFL.jpg
Posted Jun 21, 12 · OP
0  Points
Tech a
1300 posts
+135 Points
Admins
Only if you plan on using it on another toon someday. I only low level items I kept had +xp and beneficial stats for one of my alts.
NewTBWLogoV3c-trans500.png
Posted Jun 21, 12
0  Points
78 posts
+13 Points
don't stress out about it, THE biggest thing you have to worry about in normal mode is your weapon and its dps. You can quickly and easily check what upgrades an item gives you by the tooltips. I wouldn't worry too much about specific item builds until hell level as it doesn't really matter that much
296f098b6df1c20d.png
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UeXiTk!TeX!ccaZcY
Posted Jun 21, 12
+1  Points
+31 Points
Diablo 3 Officer
the glass cannon approach doesn't hurt and should be good until late hell. once in inferno you'll need to find that balance of stats on gear which are intelligence, vitality, and +all resists.....
d3tbwsig.jpg

Posted Jun 21, 12
+1  Points